· "Research-proven 2:1 Maltodextrin:Fructose formulation for 40% greater carbohydrate delivery". Wallis et al (2005). Oxidation of Combined Ingestion of Maltodextrins and Fructose during Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
· Contains all 5 Electrolytes
· Natural Flavours
· No Colours
· No Artificial Sweeteners
· Dairy-Free // Wheat-Free // Gluten-Free
· Suitable for Vegans
Maltodextrin used in isolation has been proven to be considerably more effective than glucose used in isolation because of its lower osmolality in the gut. However, the research stated above compared traditional 'maltodextrin only' formulations with a 2:1 Maltodextrin:Fructose blend and the results are nothing short of staggering.
TORQ energy, TORQ's energy drink is formulated using the same 2:1 technology, and our TORQ bars are too, so regardless of the TORQ product you're using (or combination of them), the current research suggests that you won't get a higher carbohydrate delivery and utilisation from any other food or drink.
The reason a 2:1 Maltodextrin:Fructose formulation works so well is actually rather simple, but it has been overlooked by research scientists until recently. This is because Fructose (fruit sugar) has always been deemed slow and ineffective because of its low glycaemic index. Glucose on the other hand was the preferred sugar for use in sports drinks until Maltodextrin (a polymer containing many glucose molecules) was discovered.
Maltodextrin is the best carbohydrate to use in isolation, but what happens if you mix Maltodextrin with Fructose? Basically, unlike Maltodextrin and Glucose, which compete with each other for absorption, Maltodextrin and Fructose are absorbed in parallel, so you get the ultra-fast energy supply from Maltodextrin, plus the slower energy release from Fructose. In total, there's a 40% greater delivery of carbohydrate to the working muscle. The peer-reviewed research study stated above is one of many recent pieces of research that have demonstrated these findings and 'peer reviewed' means that the results have been published in a reputable scientific journal. Be wary of claims by manufacturers that cite 'University Studies' without referencing a mainstream publication.
Based on the results of these recent studies, we suggest that an athlete consuming TORQ products can use 1.3 to 1.4 grams of carbohydrate per Kg of bodyweight per hour whilst exercising. For years, Sports Scientists have been recommending the much lower level of around 1 gram of carbohydrate per Kg of bodyweight per hour and this is all you can expect to absorb through maltodextrin only or maltodextrin/glucose based products.
Important TORQ gel usage guidelines:
1) If using a combination of TORQ products, you should be aiming to consume between 1.3 and 1.4 grams of carbohydrate per kg of bodyweight per hour.
2) During hot/humid conditions, hydration levels are critical to performance and personal safety, so we suggest that you use TORQ energy drink at 6% concentration and consume a lot of it. 6% concentration delivers 60 grams of carbohydrate per litre.
3) If you use TORQ gels in hot/humid conditions, you should do so with plenty of water. We recommend 500ml water per TORQ gel in these conditions.
4) You can mix TORQ gels with TORQ energy in hot/humid conditions providing you stick to the principles outlined in 1, 2 and 3.
5) The research quoted above experimented with a 9% carbohydrate concentration, which equates to one TORQ gel per 320ml of water. This is our recommendation for use under 'normal' or cooler environmental conditions.
6) Under 'normal' or cooler environmental conditions and/or if the intensity of exercise causes lower perspiration rates, hydration is less of an issue and you can experiment with combinations of TORQ products to satisfy the principles outlined in 1) with lower fluid intake.
7) Our Forest Fruits TORQ gel contains guarana, which delivers a very potent dose of natural caffeine. Again, the principles above apply to this product, except if consumed towards the end of an event as an 'energy booster'. If the latter is the case, consume at will.
8) In Summary: Always remember to satisfy both your energy AND fluid requirements - enjoy your TORQ product.
Maltodextrin (43%), Water, Fructose (21%), Electrolytes (Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Lactate, Magnesium Carbonate), Citric Acid, Natural Flavour (0.1%), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).
Per 45g Serving Per 100g
Energy (kCal/kJ) 114/476 255/1065
Protein (g) 0 0
Fat (g) 0 0
Saturates (g) 0 0
Carbohydrate (g) 28.8 63.9
Sugars (g) 9.6 21.3
Sodium (mg) 50 111
Chloride (mg) 85.5 190
Potassium (mg) 11.5 25.7
Magnesium (mg) 1 2.3
Calcium (mg) 4.5 10.1